Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 10:20:27 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Current Events Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 95
Author Topic: Current Events Thread  (Read 110104 times)
Rotinaj
Build Tester

the brave

« Reply #1680 on: February 01, 2012, 01:31:05 pm »

If any drug were found to be more harmful than previously thought, I doubt the result would be exposing it to more people, even if it lessens the effects on the user. I don't see how you find being able to smoke publicly is more of a personal right than mine to not be exposed to something that can jeopardize my health.

worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #1681 on: February 01, 2012, 01:41:04 pm »

So in fact outdoors and in public spaces is the healthiest place for other people to smoke, rather than in their own homes?
Windows, gardens, anywhere you arn't around other people.

20:25 - Waluigi: Apparently everyone is freaking out about GFWL for no rason
rason
rason
TheCze
Global Moderator

O R'lyeh? Ia, R'lyeh!

« Reply #1682 on: February 01, 2012, 02:23:29 pm »

If any drug were found to be more harmful than previously thought, I doubt the result would be exposing it to more people, even if it lessens the effects on the user. I don't see how you find being able to smoke publicly is more of a personal right than mine to not be exposed to something that can jeopardize my health.
cars also expose you to toxic things that can jeopardize your health.

Only then did the elves begin to suspect that the dwarves were not bringing any Amontillado.
Scrap.est
Poster

Gigglfarting

« Reply #1683 on: February 01, 2012, 03:06:28 pm »

Bananas contain radiation

The faster they fester the quicker they muster.
dude I am in the gifted program. I am probably more intelligent than you hell I am more intelligent than you. Come one you and 90% of the ZM forum are trolls
Rotinaj
Build Tester

the brave

« Reply #1684 on: February 01, 2012, 03:08:32 pm »

So? That's more of an argument against cars than for smoking. It's not like you can drive around without a catalytic converter.

Scrap.est
Poster

Gigglfarting

« Reply #1685 on: February 01, 2012, 03:23:26 pm »

I think theCze was pointing out the world is fucked anyway. People like to go for the fast, cheap, it works now methods. That's why we have cheap meat while cows fart off the ozone layer. People using a transport variety that has almost drained the fuel source,huge waste dumps in waters and on land and people making more babies while having no clean water or food (I'm looking at you Africa). Face it we are stupid and using stuff that makes us happy on the hindsight of our own health (smoking, drinking etc) won't go away.

The faster they fester the quicker they muster.
dude I am in the gifted program. I am probably more intelligent than you hell I am more intelligent than you. Come one you and 90% of the ZM forum are trolls
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #1686 on: February 01, 2012, 03:57:57 pm »

are you suggesting that we outlaw driving cars inside public buildings and on sidewalks

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight Movies! Xcoms!
Quote from: Dwarf Fortress
"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
TheCze
Global Moderator

O R'lyeh? Ia, R'lyeh!

« Reply #1687 on: February 01, 2012, 04:01:56 pm »

Especially inside public buildings!

I just wanted to point out that living in a city that is crammed full with humans is generally bad for your health. I think it's okay to ban smoking inside off public buildings but I really think it' madness if you want to ban it outside of buildings.

Only then did the elves begin to suspect that the dwarves were not bringing any Amontillado.
Rotinaj
Build Tester

the brave

« Reply #1688 on: February 01, 2012, 05:31:56 pm »

Something being bad already is not an excuse to make it worse.

TheCze
Global Moderator

O R'lyeh? Ia, R'lyeh!

« Reply #1689 on: February 01, 2012, 05:36:10 pm »

Tobacco is older then cars, so cars made it worse thus cars must be banned.

Perfect logic!

Nel
Poster

« Reply #1690 on: February 01, 2012, 05:53:19 pm »

Tobacco is older then cars, so cars made it worse thus cars must be banned.

Perfect logic!

Because a mode of transport is totally comparable to something people do for fun!
sulkdodds
Global Moderator

I AM THE SON OF DOG

« Reply #1691 on: February 01, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »

I don't think your health is being sufficiently jeopardized by someone smoking in the middle of a public square. The idea of requiring people to not smoke near building entrances makes sense, but nowhere in a public space? Not alone on a bench, in an island in the middle of a duck pond, or on the beach? Okay, so how about banning smoking in crowds or near other people? A woman has to put out her cigarette when someone else walks over near her? Legislation on this kind of micro level becomes really hard to manage.

Again, I can't remember a situation where I was forced by circumstances I couldn't take reasonable measures to avoid to inhale somebody's smoke. And the idea that Al's link is relevant in outdoor spaces (when it actually specifies "indoor spaces") seems to me unlikely.

If second hand smoking works like 'every single time you inhale any smoke whatsoever, there's a 1% chance you catch cancer', then okay, it starts to make a bit more sense...but I don't think that's how it works.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:08:11 pm by sulkdodds »

if I were not Sulkdodds, I should wish to be Diogenes
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #1692 on: February 01, 2012, 06:06:23 pm »

You've never got stuck walking behind a bunch of smokers?

rason
rason
sulkdodds
Global Moderator

I AM THE SON OF DOG

« Reply #1693 on: February 01, 2012, 06:09:52 pm »

No? I certainly don't remember any such occasion. If it did happen, I probably slowed down, walked ahead, walked round them, or crossed the street. And if you find that problematic, you're kind of moving from "x right should be restricted because it might endanger my life" to "x right should be restricted because I might be mildly inconvenienced."

if I were not Sulkdodds, I should wish to be Diogenes
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #1694 on: February 01, 2012, 06:20:45 pm »

No? I certainly don't remember any such occasion. If it did happen, I probably slowed down, walked ahead, walked round them, or crossed the street. And if you find that problematic, you're kind of moving from "x right should be restricted because it might endanger my life" to "x right should be restricted because I might be mildly inconvenienced."

Before I grew out of my asthma, being mildly inconvenienced, and having my life endangered by smokers was the same thing.

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #1695 on: February 01, 2012, 06:21:55 pm »

Amusingly it was either walk behind smokers on a busy street or walk into busy road, first time in london |:

Before I grew out of my asthma, being mildly inconvenienced, and having my life endangered by smokers was the same thing.

Also this, but I haven't grown out of it Sad

rason
rason
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #1696 on: February 01, 2012, 07:04:25 pm »

You've never got stuck walking behind a bunch of smokers?
Have you ever got stuck behind a truck or bus that spews fumes at you?

You fucking move away from it.

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #1697 on: February 01, 2012, 07:21:19 pm »

Aparently you are blind as well as an idiot and can't understand the word stuck.

rason
rason
Al_Ka_Pwn
Build Tester

"Used Furniture Salesmen"

« Reply #1698 on: February 01, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »

Anyways new topic, oakland OWS dudes are involved in a riot ish thing. Police say that they started it, and OWS guys say the police started it. It happened b/c the city had told them to leave from just about everywhere and they tried to take over a building that had been abandoned for almost 6 years and the police said no.

So she just lays on her back and shatters the zombie's skull with a 50 caliber newborn baby.
Nel
Poster

« Reply #1699 on: February 01, 2012, 08:14:02 pm »

If they city said no, they they don't do it.  Unless the protest is okayed by the city, I'm pretty sure they can be arrested for it.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 95  
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Current Events Thread « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length