Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 12:39:44 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Miscellanous banananananananannana Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 ... 241
Author Topic: Miscellanous banananananananannana Thread  (Read 213471 times)
Al_Ka_Pwn
Build Tester

"Used Furniture Salesmen"

« Reply #3520 on: February 23, 2012, 08:51:12 pm »

Doesn't really matter what you choose, Maya was Max's competitor until Autodesk bought them out. Max does have a larger user base and way more custom scripts and tutorials then Maya, also Max has much better sub divisional tools for hard surface work then Maya. Once you learn the fundamentals the learning curve of switching to another program isn't that hard.

Also if you're referring to the gaming industry, Maya isn't the Standard. Mostly because there is no standard. In terms of user base Max has way more more and has been around way longer.

Yes but the aforementioned companies use maya to my understanding, they are perhaps the strongest drivers behind their respective industries, so even if other less powerful entities use 3d max I feel safe to claim that having the most powerful players using their software makes it a standard.

Also i don't know if Max has an equivalent to mudbox, but mudbox would be one of the driving factors that I would recommend maya for.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:53:16 pm by Al_Ka_Pwn »

So she just lays on her back and shatters the zombie's skull with a 50 caliber newborn baby.
Citizen_001
ZM2 Developer

Male_07

« Reply #3521 on: February 23, 2012, 08:57:47 pm »

Al, Valve used 3DS max and Softimage XSI. I'm pretty sure Maya was never officially used by them. You can even see traces of this in "studiomdl.exe" that you use to compile .smd's. The studio comes from 3D Studio max.

1200+ hours in Source SDK, and the Source engine is still a mystery.

Quote from: Dinner
The first time you see him he comes onto you so hard.
Al_Ka_Pwn
Build Tester

« Reply #3522 on: February 23, 2012, 09:06:18 pm »

Once again I heard all my information second hand so I'll be the first to admit it's dubious but from my understanding valve uses a mix of those including maya. Especially for things like the any biological things and animation. Do you have a source for that? What valve uses? Not saying you're wrong just curious to see what things they used it for.

So she just lays on her back and shatters the zombie's skull with a 50 caliber newborn baby.
Z3RO
ZM2 Developer

Smoke Geometry all day, Every Day.

« Reply #3523 on: February 23, 2012, 09:12:41 pm »

Bioware also used Max and Maya. Most studios also outsource a lot of their work, those freelance artist are generally allowed to use their own packages.

Mudbox is owned by Autodesk and is compatible with both Max and Maya. Zbrush is still used by way more people then Mudbox.

We drag children off the streets, chain them up in the basement and whip them until they produce normal maps by hand. You know, the usual way.
Scrap.est
Poster

Gigglfarting

« Reply #3524 on: February 23, 2012, 09:15:11 pm »

Oh yay a random fact I can shove into the conversation.

Bioware for example outsourced the loading screens in Mass Effect 2.

Amazing right?

The faster they fester the quicker they muster.
dude I am in the gifted program. I am probably more intelligent than you hell I am more intelligent than you. Come one you and 90% of the ZM forum are trolls
Al_Ka_Pwn
Build Tester

« Reply #3525 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:22 pm »

Bioware also used Max and Maya. Most studios also outsource a lot of their work, those freelance artist are generally allowed to use their own packages.

Mudbox is owned by Autodesk and is compatible with both Max and Maya. Zbrush is still used by way more people then Mudbox.

is zbrush of comparable quality to mudbox?

Z3RO
ZM2 Developer

« Reply #3526 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:03 pm »

Zbrush is undoubtedly the more powerful product of the two in terms of potential sculpting detail and overall features. Mudbox is much easier to use.

We drag children off the streets, chain them up in the basement and whip them until they produce normal maps by hand. You know, the usual way.
Al_Ka_Pwn
Build Tester

« Reply #3527 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26:06 pm »

ah ok, would Zbrush be more comparable to softimage if it is that powerful?  Don't know much about it.

Z3RO
ZM2 Developer

« Reply #3528 on: February 23, 2012, 09:56:09 pm »

Zbrush is digital sculpting while Softimage is more polygonal modeling and nurbs.

Citizen_001
ZM2 Developer

Male_07

« Reply #3529 on: February 23, 2012, 10:04:02 pm »

Once again I heard all my information second hand so I'll be the first to admit it's dubious but from my understanding valve uses a mix of those including maya. Especially for things like the any biological things and animation. Do you have a source for that? What valve uses? Not saying you're wrong just curious to see what things they used it for.

On this page of the VDC: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Model_Creation_Overview

All of the models in Half-Life 2 were created with Softimage|XSI.

Also here on another page: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Studiomdl

The name "studio" is a throwback to the development of Half-Life 1, during which Valve used 3D Studio Max to create their models.

Solid Shadow
Build Tester

Usch

« Reply #3530 on: February 24, 2012, 07:59:42 am »

(In a Maya vs 3dsMax context)

Maya's strengths.
  • Organic modelling (as mentioned)
  • Rigging
  • Animating
  • Fluid Simulations
  • Powerful renderer included (but hard as hell to get better results with)

3dsMax's strengths
  • Hard-surface modelling (again, as mentioned)
  • Though its standard renderer is average, it has a powerful and easy to use 3rd party renderer (V-ray)
  • Physics Simulations

As far as UVmapping goes, don't do it in either. Use a 3rd party application like Unfold3d instead.

This is based on own experiences and word of mouth. 3dsMax probably has more strengths, but I have not worked in it enough evaluate other areas (such as scripting and lightning).
Haven't work with either in a long time though, so it all might be outdated.

Edit: As for the topic of industry standard, I do believe Maya is the standard in the film industry. As for the game industry, I think it may vary depending on the country. The standard in Sweden is Maya afaik.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:06:25 am by Solid Shadow »

I don't know about you guys, but I really, really love ham.
Z3RO
ZM2 Developer

« Reply #3531 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:59 pm »

There is no industry Standard...

People use multiple programs, for instance one might create the high poly in Zbrush then create the low poly and bake it in Max or Maya, then export the uvs into photoshop.

Or someone might create the high poly in Max or Maya then export into Zbrush to add the little details...etc

There is no standard, when you work at studio that studio might be using a certain modeling program, guess what? You'll have to learn it, you might work at  another studio some time later and they maybe using something completely different like Modo, you will still have to learn Modo.

If you're doing freelance work you're free to use any program you want most of the time, as long as you can get your work done.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:53:06 pm by Z3RO »

Secone
Build Tester

« Reply #3532 on: February 24, 2012, 11:28:49 pm »

If they both do high quality work, why is there a need to argue about them, chill bros
Citizen_001
ZM2 Developer

Male_07

« Reply #3533 on: February 24, 2012, 11:44:46 pm »

If they both do high quality work, why is there a need to argue about them, chill bros
Secone stop that. It's not even an argument, it's a discussion. Everybody is just contributing to the discussion and things haven't even SLIGHTLY gotten hostile. So no, this is perfectly normal forum discussion happening here.

Dinner
Poster

The Harlem Globetrotters: Fashion World Tour

« Reply #3534 on: February 24, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »

Where was the anger?

Damn it Secone, you got Citizen and Nel to bicker in chat.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:50:27 pm by Dinner »

Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #3535 on: February 26, 2012, 11:02:49 am »

Just came out of a trip. 3 tabs. Listened to Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall. It was insane.

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #3536 on: February 26, 2012, 12:24:05 pm »

I made a donkey in church today and broke a beanbag. It's the only way I keep my santiy.

20:25 - Waluigi: Apparently everyone is freaking out about GFWL for no rason
rason
rason
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

alone on a mountaintop uprooted from the Earth

« Reply #3537 on: February 26, 2012, 05:41:22 pm »

I flew to Tibet and prayed on my knees until marks were left in the stone. My life is one of enlightenment.

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
Secone
Build Tester

« Reply #3538 on: February 26, 2012, 05:55:49 pm »

I honked a goose and dragged my mother to the Motherland today. It's what I do on a normal basis.
Dinner
Poster

The Harlem Globetrotters: Fashion World Tour

« Reply #3539 on: February 26, 2012, 06:53:11 pm »

I woke up at 8 and went back to sleep and kept repeating that for the next 4 hours. It's too damn easy to just go back to sleep and I am weak.

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 ... 241  
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Miscellanous banananananananannana Thread « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length