Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 06:00:58 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Custom Content  |  Release and WIP  |  Topic: [Cancelled until further notice][WIP] zm_refuge « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: [Cancelled until further notice][WIP] zm_refuge  (Read 5939 times)
Dissident
Poster

Manic.

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 04:26:11 am »

That's a good idea. I'd like to try add a hoist like that in, perhaps it could make for an interesting trap. Here it is compiled, the spotlight's a bit bright in my opinion and the buildings are just placeholders until I can better flesh out some detail (I hope).

Al's Automotive
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:27:15 am by Dissident »
Dissident
Poster

Manic.

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 02:07:50 am »

Leaving the alley. A lot of light cast on the building straight ahead because off to the left there's nothing but skybox. It will be in the shadows once I continue.

The mechanic's place was a mess. Shattered glass coated the concrete and everything seemed to have its share of scratches and dents - everything apart from the red crates, which looked out of place in their surroundings.
"Hello? Hello?" The radio that was propped up on some toolboxes burst into life, startling the already weary survivors. "Come closer - closer to the window so I can get a better look at you." They moved towards the barred window, fully aware of the decomposing corpse sprawled on the cracked concrete, only to see a figure in the shadows behind the scratched glass.

Sorry for double posting. I've had the idea to have one of the objectives as an item delivery objective which could be purely optional. (Sort of like sending Gnome Chompski into space in Ep2 now that I think about it.) Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:54:43 am by Dissident »
skankdragon
ZM2 Developer

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 03:21:02 am »

This map is downright gorgeous... Fine showcase of a 5-year-old engine that can still kick ass. Very talented hands at the mouse it looks like too.

Is that a stock skybox? I've been trying to create my own HDR and haven't had any luck so far getting it to actually be HDR. The models end up having bright white highlights and the cubemapped textures are all pink checkerboard.

That grating shadow in the first picture. How'd you actually get that to work? I tried before and never actually got it to cast shadows.

About that picture with the brightly colored brick building: you should sully that sucker up, looks too clean compared to the rest of the yard.

Were you saying that the objective might be to get items for the mechanic? I think that would be an awesome idea, maybe have the players retrieve car parts for him so they can make a getaway vehicle?

It might be cool to have them individually retrieve all the parts and build the car right in the yard there.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:23:28 am by skankdragon »

Maps: zm_blackswamp, zm_cagefight, zm_diamondshoals, zm_Fridgeofdoom, zm_ballworks

currently working on: ZM_diamondshoals_beta1, zm_deepnorth_a1
Skull_Boy
Poster

I'm in space.

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 09:35:41 am »

Looking better and better, Diss. ^^
Aperently I am lacking motivation or ideas for my map. Where did you get inspiration for your map?
Dissident
Poster

Manic.

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2011, 06:54:05 am »

Hey thanks for the comments. I was getting worried that everyone gave up this thread.
To answer your question, the skybox is one of the stock skyboxes (sky_day03_06). Are you building cubemaps then restarting the game? That's what gets HDR working in most cases. The brick building's textures have been scrapped and replaced, I think it's in some of the screenshots somewhere.

As for the shadows from the grating, the method I used is to make the brush with the grating texture into a func_illusionary (func_brush works too with the right values) and to make rows of nodraw brushes in a grid inside the func_illusionary/brush. Having larger spaces between the nodraw grid compared to the texture looks a lot better than trying to match up the pattern perfectly. Lastly (if not already obvious) I set the lightmap number to a low number (2-6 works).

To answer your question, Skull_Boy: I get my inspiration from whatever comes into my mind. My maps seem to plan out as they go, straying from the original idea completely sometimes, though I find looking at reference pictures from Google Images can be very helpful.

Screenshots of what it currently looks like:

Edit: If only I could get those damn pylons to light properly. They're weird models, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:30:25 am by Dissident »
Dissident
Poster

Manic.

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 10:53:06 am »

Skull_Boy
Poster

I'm in space.

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2011, 05:23:25 pm »

I like it. The wall above the canal looks a bit weird for me; the texture "reseting". (Probably just my imagination.)
Dissident
Poster

Manic.

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2011, 04:20:08 pm »

Sorry for the inactivity. I've recently decided to port over and continue this map for NMRiH. It shouldn't be hard to port back if the need arises and if ZM2 is released at some point.

If anyone's still interested they can find it here:
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6672

I realised that this map just didn't feel right for ZM and so I hope in the future I can return here and start a much better map from scratch some day.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:25:04 pm by Dissident »
Devil Mudger
Poster

Bah Humbug

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »

I'm sad now.

Guess we'll have to make do with the NMRiH version....

www.ZombieSurvivalists.com - ZomSu
ZombieSurvivalists.com | No Upgrades | United Kingdom  -  213.5.180.85:27015
McViolent
ZM2 Admin

Boler's Bane

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:41 pm »

I'm sad now.

Guess we'll have to make do with the NMRiH version....

But damn, That looks sexy. Awesome work, dude.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Custom Content  |  Release and WIP  |  Topic: [Cancelled until further notice][WIP] zm_refuge « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length