Okay, since a bunch of people here are already playing DayZ, I figured it deserved it's own thread.
If you don't know the game, here is a nice video of it:
Day Z is the best thing I’ve played so far this year.From RPS
1. You'll need Operation Arrowhead and Arma 2, you can get them both in Steam for 25€ (in Germany)
apparently it's possible to play with Arma 2 Free but I don't know how and you'll have to do your own research
2. Install both games and run them once
3. Create a folder named "@dayz" in your Operation Arrowhead folder. Create a folder called "addons" inside the @dayz folder
4. Download all files from here
5. Extract all the files to the "addons" folder from step 3.
6. In Steam, right click arma 2>> properties >> set launch options: -mod=@dayz -nosplash
You are now ready to play the game!
But wait- some server are running the Arma2 Beta patch. (You'll won't be able to connect or will get an error message saying that you are missing content chernarus if you're doing it wrong)
Here is how to install it:
1. Get it from here
. It's the one in the green box at the top of the page
2. Install it (duh)
3. Launch the game via the new "Arma 2 OA beta" shortcut that has been created by the installer in your Arma2 OA folder
4. Activate the expansion "@dayz" in game
You should be able to play on all servers now.
Because of the vast scale of the map (225km²) we should organise things a little better. So let's try to find out where each and everyone from us actually is so we can meet up easier ingame.HERE IS THE MAPThe interactive mapHere
you'll find a standalone launcher for DayZ that auto updates the mod for you!
I am currently at Staroye (South East)