Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 01:44:50 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Computer Problems/Help Thread/General PC Tools And Utilities. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 39
Author Topic: Computer Problems/Help Thread/General PC Tools And Utilities.  (Read 59941 times)
UnInvincible
Build Tester

SANTA SHAMBLER SEIZURE!

« Reply #340 on: May 29, 2010, 05:02:09 pm »

Hey Shadow how much is that set-up going to cost you. Just curious because now that I've got a nice paying summer job I've been thinking of building a PC.

my game keeps crashing as it loads, (i have all the expansion packs including the apartment life) and i am hearing that it might possibly be a custom content problem? how do i remove custom content?
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #341 on: May 29, 2010, 05:57:07 pm »

I see. I thought 32 bit could handle up to 4 and 64 bit could handle higher.
This is true, technically.

Signature Pending...
Marauder8
Build Tester

« Reply #342 on: May 29, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »

Remember that computer of mine that had trouble starting properly? The screen of it turned off for no reason today, so I decided to restart it(I never turned it off since I fixed it, I only used sleep mode). The problem being, when it turned back on, it never done it's usual beeps to tell me it was working, or the unusual beeps to tell me it was fucked. I just heard the fan. The screen doesn't display anything anymore either. I have to use a shitty net book thing.

Quote from: Worbat
THIS RAINCOAT IS FROM THE DEVIL
OctaneHugo
Build Tester

alone on a mountaintop uprooted from the Earth

« Reply #343 on: May 29, 2010, 08:43:56 pm »

Stop turning it off.

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #344 on: May 29, 2010, 08:54:18 pm »

Hey Shadow how much is that set-up going to cost you. Just curious because now that I've got a nice paying summer job I've been thinking of building a PC.

The combined prices of every individual part but the motherboard (which is only available to OEMs) is 900. Add in the mobo and shipping and I expect it to be around 1000. (Note: The monitor is 160 dollars, and then Windows 7 is 125, so if you already owned either of those (many schools give out free operating systems, many people already own monitors) then you could expect to shave almost 300 dollars from the price.)

The store wants 1600 for the same computer. 

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight Movies! Xcoms!
Quote from: Dwarf Fortress
"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
Marauder8
Build Tester

« Reply #345 on: May 29, 2010, 09:06:24 pm »

Stop turning it off.

I would, if I could turn it on in the first place.

Nevermind, I fixed it. All I had to do was do what I do when it restarts itself to update. Take the case off and fiddle with the graphics card.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:31:07 pm by Marauder8[UK] »

Quote from: Worbat
THIS RAINCOAT IS FROM THE DEVIL
MOSH-PO-TAY-TO
Poster

Disco Disco.

« Reply #346 on: May 30, 2010, 07:02:13 am »

Remember that computer of mine that had trouble starting properly? The screen of it turned off for no reason today, so I decided to restart it(I never turned it off since I fixed it, I only used sleep mode). The problem being, when it turned back on, it never done it's usual beeps to tell me it was working, or the unusual beeps to tell me it was fucked. I just heard the fan. The screen doesn't display anything anymore either. I have to use a shitty net book thing.

I have an older computer (2 years old) in my back room that suddenly did the same thing. Insted of fixing it, I just harvested its delicious HDD and put it in this computer.

In a shameless act of self promotion Skeleton's Bone Pile - Australian Killing Floor Community.
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »

So I need some help.

My computer crashes from overheating and my sound card is buggered.

Well, I suppose you could always just buy a new soundcard and a bigger, better cooling system? Anyway if I were you I'd call the manufacturer and be polite at them until they fix it.

I don't want to build a new desktop because, well, first off I only have 500 pounds and second off I don't want to spend a lot of time on this and I'll be moving around a lot.

Well, first off, if you have 500 pounds, that's the equivilent of 723 dollars, which is more than enough to build a solid gaming rig. I'm planning on spending around 1000 and with that I'll have one of the finest machines on the forum.

Second off, building a computer shouldn't take a lot of time. I mean, there's three steps that consume time:

1. Choosing parts.
2. Waiting for them to ship.
3. Putting them together.

Now, you can spend any amount of time you like on Step One, but Step Two really shouldn't be more than a few weeks at the utmost, and Step Three is an afternoon's work. I havn't actually built my own computer yet but I'm made to understand that putting in every component is just like putting in one component except, you know, more of them. (That is, putting in new RAM involves taking the RAM and putting it into the RAM slot. The graphics card goes into the GRAPHICS CARD slot. Everything is bright colors and shapes so it's pretty easy to tell that the long fat connector goes into the long fat slot.)

I mean, if I were going to order all my new computer parts today, I could be running Crysis by Saturday.

As for "I'm going to be moving a lot!" well that really shouldn't be a concern. Havn't you ever been to a LAN? Setting up and packing up your computer is easy. If you're really slow it takes fifteen minutes to plug everything in (or take all the cords OUT) and after that you're set. It shouldn't really be a hassle unless you're moving eight times a day, and even then it's just a hassle and not an impossible barrier.

"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #348 on: May 30, 2010, 02:22:00 pm »

Shadow, computer parts are really fucking expensive in the UK- way more than the exchange rate would lead you to believe.
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #349 on: May 30, 2010, 02:30:29 pm »

He said he'll be coming to america soon

he can buy them then

EDIT: Buy them, have them shipped to Jimmy. Have her assemble them. New computer waiting for you when you arrive.

Rotinaj
Build Tester

the brave

« Reply #350 on: May 30, 2010, 05:35:29 pm »

HP Recently recalled several batteries for overheating issues
http://bpr.hpordercenter.com/hbpr/

worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #351 on: May 30, 2010, 08:16:21 pm »

I have a problem. These pictures show it!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:17:27 pm by worbat »

20:25 - Waluigi: Apparently everyone is freaking out about GFWL for no rason
rason
rason
SlayerCake
Poster

VerbCake

« Reply #352 on: May 30, 2010, 08:31:23 pm »

I see your problem. Maybe if you get better at the game you won't die as much.

<br />Mysquirrel the storm and power outage were in real life<br />
Dinner
Poster

The Harlem Globetrotters: Fashion World Tour

« Reply #353 on: May 30, 2010, 08:45:26 pm »

As we said in game, try out the EVGA Precision tool. It'll help you easily adjust your fan speed and under/overclock your system.

http://www.evga.com/precision/

worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #354 on: May 30, 2010, 08:55:20 pm »

Ahh, I was on the wrong page! Will try this.

20:25 - Waluigi: Apparently everyone is freaking out about GFWL for no rason
rason
rason
Barbalute
Global Moderator

build test this

« Reply #355 on: May 30, 2010, 09:24:17 pm »

Step Three is an afternoon's work.
If everything goes flawlessly, which is... unlikely. Then you'll have to install your OS, format your drives, install all your programs, etc.

As for "I'm going to be moving a lot!" well that really shouldn't be a concern. Havn't you ever been to a LAN? Setting up and packing up your computer is easy. If you're really slow it takes fifteen minutes to plug everything in (or take all the cords OUT) and after that you're set. It shouldn't really be a hassle unless you're moving eight times a day, and even then it's just a hassle and not an impossible barrier.
I don't even want to imagine how much of a pain in the ass/expensive it would be to get your computer into luggage for an overseas trip/mail it to yourself overseas (this is assuming you're staying in a single place, too).

So no, I think a laptop is what Sulk is looking for.

Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #356 on: May 31, 2010, 01:36:22 am »

If everything goes flawlessly, which is... unlikely. Then you'll have to install your OS, format your drives, install all your programs, etc.

I suppose if he has some defective parts or manages to destroy his parts and has to wait for new ones to ship, then yeah, that could really eat time.

Are there any time-consuming steps to building a computer?

Barbalute
Global Moderator

build test this

« Reply #357 on: May 31, 2010, 01:50:10 am »

I did pretty much everything right, but I still had to wait a day or two because my drive wasn't booting properly. I don't remember what the problem ended up being.

Just saying, in theory assembling a computer is quick, but there's always the chance of something causing a long delay.

-Ashitaka-
Poster

Welcome to my nightmare, Please

« Reply #358 on: May 31, 2010, 03:03:18 am »

I did pretty much everything right, but I still had to wait a day or two because my drive wasn't booting properly. I don't remember what the problem ended up being.

Just saying, in theory assembling a computer is quick, but there's always the chance of something causing a long delay.
I built my computer in about 2 hours. Nothing too difficult. But it took me about 2 weeks to figure out why it was crashing every few hours.
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #359 on: May 31, 2010, 03:03:59 am »

why was it crashing every two hours

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 39  
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Computer Problems/Help Thread/General PC Tools And Utilities. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length