Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 12:23:38 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2

Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Source code discussion  |  Topic: Ajunk's view on the future of ZM production « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 33
Author Topic: Ajunk's view on the future of ZM production  (Read 97101 times)
jdoggy123
Poster

« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2009, 06:26:06 pm »

Alright, I've been poking around with XSI mod tool, and I've decided that I'd be willing to model for the project. I'll only be able to make basic things like tables,chairs,and such for a while though. Also I have a suggestion. We should really get a Medikit or medicine or something to heal survivors, if we make the enemies more lethal.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2009, 06:32:12 pm »

Health is not meant to be in the game. The devs explained the system quite simply.

"Simply don't get hurt"

Go get modeling make different chairs tables some with broken backs ect.

20:25 - Waluigi: Apparently everyone is freaking out about GFWL for no rason
rason
rason
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2009, 06:36:24 pm »

Concurred, no health recuperation by design.

Mr. Valvetime
Sarge
Poster

Here's Simon!

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2009, 06:36:44 pm »

That's why I love ZM. No second chances.

Secone: hello sarge-sannn~~ Secone: uguu~~~ Secone: don't you think I am kawaii sarge-chann~!~
Quote from: Worbat drunk
Sarge: Night night worbat! Worbat: niiiiiiiighty nig0hte           sargei awargie
Unknown
Build Tester

What did you learn?

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2009, 06:45:42 pm »

The Hidden: Source is consistantly scary (that goes for everyone who says multiplayer games cannot be scary) both because you don't know where te hidden is, and because you don't have control over when and where he will strike.

Yes, that is part of what makes Hidden scary. Another part is feeling that you're completely alone in a dark area and can never tell who's still with you or not. If you removed people's ability to communicate across certain distances and gave a feeling of being alone in the dark, that would go miles.

One other thing I want is better sounds, sound REALLY makes a horror game scary. The hidden has those creepy little taunts he can whisper in your ear that used to make me twitch. I'd like to see more notable zombie sounds (I'd volunteer to make some of them) and clips that the ZM can play every now and then. Seriously, if it would be put in, I'd get ahold of the equipment and make a ton of taunts and stuff for this. Because I love this mod, and a scary form of it would be perfect.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:48:30 pm by Unknown »

Mad Mints: >making plans for children before they're even born
Mad Mints: >implying she's not infertile from being punched in the uterus by my mind
Mad Mints: I'M HATING HER OVARIES TO DEATH
Bad King Urgrain
Administrator

« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2009, 07:12:36 pm »

Probably the most time consuming part of starting completely from scratch is figuring out how AL managed all these NPCs on a multiplayer server.
You spawn them. It does not require any massive optimizations or big changes.

The ZM player is much more difficult to do well.
Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:12 pm »

I like to make a note that while all plan and no code fails, so does charging into code without knowing what you're doing.

That said, I'm favoring my original model where we make all zombies appear the same, having special zombies appear no different and having normal zombies grab onto you (and if we can use blended animations).

Now that being said, let's take a look at some other features.

I'd really like if we used an inventory system based on size and weight. You have a backpack which you fill with your items. All items (weapons, ammo, etc.) have a certian size and weight, and you're not allowed to exceed either.

I like the idea where you hold the flashlight as opposed to just shooting a beam forewards. This would balance melee/pistols/big guns in itself. Melee weapons would work with flashlights, pistols would work but you'd have to lose the light on reloads, and big guns (shotguns, rifles) would not have the ability to use flashlights. (Now I was also thinking, what if you could use duct tape that you find to attach your flashlight to a large gun? Food for thought.)

For immersion sake, having your mic be based on radius sounds interesting. Your voice would fade by distance, and to avoid people microphoning add a decibel cap. If you're feeling ambitious, include portable and non-portable radios all on the same frequency. Portable ones would be something you can store in your inventory, where non-portable ones you'd have to stand next to. If you have a portable radio all your voice activity can be heard by everyone with or near a radio (including being next to someone having a radio in their inventory) and you can hear anyone talking who has a portable one (excluding people near portable ones) or who is next to a non-poratble one. Sounds complicated in writing, but isn't reall.

Now spectating can be boring, which is why I thought up a system. Spectators slowly gain "resources". Since they cannot talk (chat or voice) to the living, they can use their resources to do various things which can help or hinder friendlies. These could include nudging objects, highlighting certian areas with flickers of light, getting a few seconds of lightly distorted voice over the radio, writing on the walls, or creating atmospheric noise. I'm sure I don't have to explain that the result will be as terrifying as it is fun.

Oh, also I like Jossi's idea of having only headshots kill zombies. Small arms should do nothing to the body, while larger guns should have some sort of impact.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2009, 10:20:44 pm »

I agree with everything after the inventory system, everything above just feels nasty.

The reason for the inventory system It just screams ZPS unless you have a different idea.

rason
rason
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2009, 10:23:07 pm »

That's why I love ZM. No second chances.

Then why would we add so many ridiculous chances to die? :|

Let's just start with updating the current game, alright? Better to get a few more updates out, maybe get to 2.0.0 or somethng, and then start.

We should get Steamworksed before making an entirely new game.

I clicked on that link, but quickly closed the tab before it loaded upon realizing that the file name was whalecock.jpg.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2009, 10:24:26 pm »

I totally sent off an email already concerning wtf we would have to do

edit Oh and I did spell check, twice

rason
rason
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2009, 10:58:08 pm »

I totally sent off an email already concerning wtf we would have to do

edit Oh and I did spell check, twice

Very good job. You get a cookie.

I clicked on that link, but quickly closed the tab before it loaded upon realizing that the file name was whalecock.jpg.
Weighted Companion Cube
Build Tester

No longer staring into souls.

« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2009, 11:32:51 pm »

Then why would we add so many ridiculous chances to die? :|

Let's just start with updating the current game, alright? Better to get a few more updates out, maybe get to 2.0.0 or somethng, and then start.

A) Because losing is fun.  Seriously though, there aren't that many "ridiculous chances to die" besides the ones put in by mapmakers.
    We aren't trying to make a simple, casual game, we want something fun, scary, and slightly realistic.  If the map maker decides to put in a flaming cock monster,
    not the games fault.

B) We already determined that the current game doesn't have much to add in besides bug fixes and custom content.  It's as far as it can go on the current engine.  As
    ehjunk said somewhere, better to let this game stay true to the devs vision and make a new one where we can alter things easily, than to muck this one up.

Also, besides testing, I could help with any writing you might need. I guess.  Damn, I need to get more skills...

Quote from: korea-people
Good morning. Korea is the user. But I also want to know that this question oeuigeot is olryeobop.
Quote from: maxnose
I want to know, if I had issued snake god master's renewal, whether the people will use them?
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2009, 11:33:15 pm »

I'm sticking to the opinion that thinks we should go with the existing code and modify it heavily. We have a huge advantage over AL and everyone else making the original game because we already have code to work with. I think creating a new game from scratch would be far more work than it's worth and it would NEVER get done. I think our priorities should be to get steamworked (This will bring lots of attention to the mod, that's good), sexify the mod and THEN work on modifying it.

I'm not sure if upgrading to the OB engine is worth it, though. Sure, it will look better, have far better particle effects and the maps will be easier to make, but it will take ages to do so. Not only that, but a lot of people (Like me a few months ago) have really shitty computers that can run the HL2 engine fine but the OB engine works like shit.

No.

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
worbat
Santaman

Fnar Fnar Fnar

« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2009, 11:35:24 pm »

I think he means on the steam store.

rason
rason
jdoggy123
Poster

« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2009, 11:35:59 pm »

While I agree with having a radius on voice chat, not letting spectators speak doesn't seem like the best idea. It would be good if voice chat was disabled for them, but they could still type chat. Then again... listening in on players conversations and not taking part in them wouldn't be so bad... hmmmmmm.Now I'm not sure.
Weighted Companion Cube
Build Tester

No longer staring into souls.

« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2009, 11:42:25 pm »

No, text chat is just as bad as voice chat.
It stays on-screen and can be abused in the same way.

Listening in on conversations sounds good, but realize that with radial chat several groups of people will be talking at the same time.
It would be better to have radial chat with specs, being able to select radios to listen to, and being able to select players to listen to.

That way the specs don't get bombarded with a hundred different sounds from different groups at once, and they can still get a sense of the situation.

Quote from: korea-people
Good morning. Korea is the user. But I also want to know that this question oeuigeot is olryeobop.
Quote from: maxnose
I want to know, if I had issued snake god master's renewal, whether the people will use them?
Joest
Build Tester

ZM's Resident Furfag

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2009, 11:47:52 pm »

I think he means on the steam store.
Adding it to the Steam store is useless, in my opinion. I'm talking about Steamworks integration. Make it an official mod. Offer it for download from Steam.

I love cats. My cat ambushed me when I got out of the shower and attacked my dick.
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2009, 11:49:17 pm »

No, text chat is just as bad as voice chat.
It stays on-screen and can be abused in the same way.

Listening in on conversations sounds good, but realize that with radial chat several groups of people will be talking at the same time.
It would be better to have radial chat with specs, being able to select radios to listen to, and being able to select players to listen to.

That way the specs don't get bombarded with a hundred different sounds from different groups at once, and they can still get a sense of the situation.

Thats something else, you could always have a couple of 2-ways in a map with limited batteries to let distant groups communicate.

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
jdoggy123
Poster

« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2009, 12:02:43 am »

How can I get textures to put on the models that I make? XSI came loaded with some ,but if I wanted more is there a good site that I could get them? I'm going to try and make  a model for a chair.
Sarge
Poster

Here's Simon!

« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2009, 12:07:04 am »

Spectators should only be allowed to talk to each other and be able to hear what the survivors are saying. I love making bets on who I think will survive longer.

Secone: hello sarge-sannn~~ Secone: uguu~~~ Secone: don't you think I am kawaii sarge-chann~!~
Quote from: Worbat drunk
Sarge: Night night worbat! Worbat: niiiiiiiighty nig0hte           sargei awargie
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 33  
Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Source code discussion  |  Topic: Ajunk's view on the future of ZM production « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length