Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 06:12:57 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2

Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Source code discussion  |  Topic: Ajunk's view on the future of ZM production « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 33
Author Topic: Ajunk's view on the future of ZM production  (Read 93606 times)
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2009, 12:36:00 am »

Adding it to the Steam store is useless, in my opinion. I'm talking about Steamworks integration. Make it an official mod. Offer it for download from Steam.
This.
Spectators should only be allowed to talk to each other and be able to hear what the survivors are saying. I love making bets on who I think will survive longer.
Not being able to hear everything, thus negating the social aspect of the game = not good.

I clicked on that link, but quickly closed the tab before it loaded upon realizing that the file name was whalecock.jpg.
Weighted Companion Cube
Build Tester

No longer staring into souls.

« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2009, 12:58:52 am »

Yes but you miss the point man.

We aren't going for social as much anymore, more frightening. And nothing kills scary like hearing a random man blurt out from the grave, "Hey guys, I'm going to make tacos. Be back later."

Quote from: korea-people
Good morning. Korea is the user. But I also want to know that this question oeuigeot is olryeobop.
Quote from: maxnose
I want to know, if I had issued snake god master's renewal, whether the people will use them?
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2009, 01:03:03 am »

I think that may well illicit reactions of "ZOMG U COPYD L4D AND ZPS BASTARDS".

Can't we leave the big, game changing things for a while? At least after we get Steamworksed?

I clicked on that link, but quickly closed the tab before it loaded upon realizing that the file name was whalecock.jpg.
Sarge
Poster

Here's Simon!

« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2009, 01:06:32 am »

Neither of those games are scary in the least.

Secone: hello sarge-sannn~~ Secone: uguu~~~ Secone: don't you think I am kawaii sarge-chann~!~
Quote from: Worbat drunk
Sarge: Night night worbat! Worbat: niiiiiiiighty nig0hte           sargei awargie
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2009, 01:12:01 am »

Still.

Why can't we stick with the tried-and-true things, and fix, remodel and revamp the rest?

Weighted Companion Cube
Build Tester

No longer staring into souls.

« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2009, 01:13:02 am »

Still.

Why can't we stick with the tried-and-true things, and fix, remodel and revamp the rest?

B) We already determined that the current game doesn't have much to add in besides bug fixes and custom content.  It's as far as it can go on the current engine.  As
    ehjunk said somewhere, better to let this game stay true to the devs vision and make a new one where we can alter things easily, than to muck this one up

Quote from: korea-people
Good morning. Korea is the user. But I also want to know that this question oeuigeot is olryeobop.
Quote from: maxnose
I want to know, if I had issued snake god master's renewal, whether the people will use them?
Marphy Black
The Best Forum Member

Let's go kick some civilian ass!

« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2009, 01:24:07 am »

I don't see why you would want to stifle communication and camaraderie among players, though. Heck, why not just rename the mod to No Fun Master. Angry

"You are what I eat,
So much flesh, so much meat...
"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Revenant100
JossiRossi
Build Tester

Now touching you ever so slightly less.

« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2009, 01:33:55 am »

I think that it might actually increase your desire to communicate and work with others knowing that if you go too far away you are totally alone unable to ask for help.

Mr. Valvetime
Marphy Black
The Best Forum Member

Let's go kick some civilian ass!

« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2009, 01:55:08 am »

There are a million and one reasons why players in ZM may have to split up for whatever reason. For example, the map may require it. Unless the radial voice range was something like twice the size of Docks of the Dead, it would be nothing more than a massive, irritating, and entirely unnecessary hindrance to everything communication-wise. Can you imagine if the group barricading the house in Backwoods had no possible way of talking to the people getting the fuel tank all the way by the gas station? Utter travesty, I tell you what.

"You are what I eat,
So much flesh, so much meat...
"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Revenant100
JossiRossi
Build Tester

« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2009, 02:01:20 am »

To be honest situations like backwoods is exactly why I would like radius communication. I mean on the same scale, I think a speech radius such that if you were in the middle of the house you could speak to and hear everyone in the whole building and extending a bit outside.

Besides you would find ways to compensate. As players get to the gas station you might have a player stay back, in line of sight and once people make it to the station he runs back so people know they will be arriving soon.

I don't see why not having telepathy would make a cooperation based game all of a sudden be bad.

Mr. Valvetime
jdoggy123
Poster

« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2009, 02:06:59 am »

I entirely agree with JossiRossi. But still it would make sense to do a release with the new radius system, get feedback, and if everybody hates it go back to normal communication
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2009, 02:08:54 am »

Additionally, it'd be nice if you didn't know when someone died, ala Hidden:Source - again, using Backwoods as an example, you wouldn't know if the house was being slaughtered if you were near the gas station.

I entirely agree with JossiRossi. But still it would make sense to do a release with the new radius system, get feedback, and if everybody hates it go back to normal communication
That's what build testers are for smile
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:10:37 am by AndyTheGeeky »

Signature Pending...
JossiRossi
Build Tester

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2009, 02:10:05 am »

Depending on if we got the flare working and how we got it to work exactly it could be REAL useful in these kinds of situations.

Mr. Valvetime
jdoggy123
Poster

« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2009, 02:12:36 am »

I don't know if I like that idea.
Additionally, it'd be nice if you didn't know when someone died, ala Hidden:Source - again, using Backwoods as an example, you wouldn't know if the house was being slaughtered if you were near the gas station.
That's what build testers are for smile
I don't know if I like that idea. ZM was always a game about community and such, and I understand we're going for a scarier type mod now, but not knowing when your partners die is kind of... I don't know. Its not a bad idea, it just seems weird.
McViolent
ZM2 Admin

Boler's Bane

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2009, 02:14:47 am »

So everyone that has replied to this thread, who has 1+ year of experience in C++? Or at least minimum experience so that people that just wrote "Hello World" or exercise programs are filtered out.

I guess this will be my last attempt of, in my honest and humble opinion, saying that you guys are talking too far ahead and that if you guys are serious about it, focus on the resources available. Or it will end up with just random, incoherent ideas that may not be even implementable due to the coders (or lack of).

Oh wow, thanks for having faith in our community.
AndyTheGeeky
Build Tester

Wannabe Zoidberg

« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2009, 02:16:16 am »

I don't know if I like that idea. ZM was always a game about community and such, and I understand we're going for a scarier type mod now, but not knowing when your partners die is kind of... I don't know. Its not a bad idea, it just seems weird.
Then perhaps a sort of "death rattle" - for 5 seconds after you die, you can shout at increased volume and radius.

Signature Pending...
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2009, 02:22:18 am »

I think it'd be a waste of coding.

We do need more beta testers, though...

eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2009, 02:24:07 am »

There are a million and one reasons why players in ZM may have to split up for whatever reason. For example, the map may require it. Unless the radial voice range was something like twice the size of Docks of the Dead, it would be nothing more than a massive, irritating, and entirely unnecessary hindrance to everything communication-wise. Can you imagine if the group barricading the house in Backwoods had no possible way of talking to the people getting the fuel tank all the way by the gas station? Utter travesty, I tell you what.

Which is why I suggested a two way, could take up a utlities slot with the flashlight or something along those lines so that they are limited, but still give you a way to speak with other people.

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
JossiRossi
Build Tester

« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2009, 02:24:20 am »

What are you talking about beta testers?

A death rattle is an interesting concept. Might be a bit too complicated for the payoff though. Course if we explored the locational speech it might not be bad. Maybe Tanner should as RnL how they did it, talk coder to coder over there.

Mr. Valvetime
McViolent
ZM2 Admin

Boler's Bane

« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2009, 02:54:30 am »

Since locational speech was done in Athena, I can easily replicate it in ZM.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:56:30 am by Tannerbondy »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 33  
Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Source code discussion  |  Topic: Ajunk's view on the future of ZM production « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length