Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 04:02:36 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Custom Content (Moderator: McViolent)  |  Topic: Broken Pillars « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Broken Pillars  (Read 1912 times)
Dr. KillPatient
Poster

Rawr.

« on: March 11, 2009, 10:22:01 pm »

Mkay... I want to incorporate a broken pillar in my map but they just don't work out. The broken edges need to be jagged and I can only figure out how to make them somewhat rounded. How would I do it?

Quote from: Joest
Immolators are exactly like Cadillacs. They make a loud noise and then they burst into flames.
Sniperslayr
Poster

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:18:34 pm »

there are a couple of models of broken pillars but you would have to match the surrounding textures to them
alternatively you could make the pillar using the cylinder part of the brush tool and use the slicing tool (second from bottom) to cut it into chunks.

And then Ajunk's heart grew three sizes that day.
zm_prisonbreak
Beta 4 released
Dr. KillPatient
Poster

Rawr.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:20:22 am »

That's what I was saying. The Carve Tool makes the brushes more rounded when I cut them on both the axes... Or whatever the plural of 'axis' is...

Immolators are exactly like Cadillacs. They make a loud noise and then they burst into flames.
Milo
Build Tester

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:56:19 am »

That's what I was saying. The Carve Tool makes the brushes more rounded when I cut them on both the axes... Or whatever the plural of 'axis' is...
In situations like this that involve mathematics, the plural is axes. You got that one right.
Tyrant T100
Poster

The State sees all!

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:21:34 pm »

use the vertex tool to make the pieces at different heights and then make them into a displacement,

Rukus
Poster

Serial Killer

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:01:32 pm »

To make your pillars jagged just cut them in multiple places and then make all the little bits you want a single func_physbox.

Oh, so you just expelled gas and bits of poop into the air loudly during our intimate moment, but whatever.
Shambie
Build Tester

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:21:38 pm »

To make your pillars jagged just cut them in multiple places and then make all the little bits you want a single func_physbox.
Wait what? XD

Shambie has spoken!

Just because you have the right of free speech doesn't mean you can speak freely

Quote from: Zanarias~C1?
yeah
I've never understood why the educational system has so much room for failure

http://www.zombiemaster.org/smf/index.php?to
Sniperslayr
Poster

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:31:39 pm »

maybe func_detail not func_physbox cos that would make it physically simulated like a prop, unless you want to make a trap where it falls or something

zm_prisonbreak
Beta 4 released
Dr. KillPatient
Poster

Rawr.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:44:17 am »

Nah, I have it Detail'd.

Shambie
Build Tester

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 12:47:48 am »

If you don't want it to move go with Tyrant's suggestion:

How it may look ingame (note the super high quality although crappy map):
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4417/zmpillartest0001.jpg

Shambie has spoken!

Just because you have the right of free speech doesn't mean you can speak freely

yeah

Charles445
Build Tester

This avatar is still funny

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 01:09:36 am »

How about this.
Either PM me and ask me how to do things or continue to create tons and tons of threads.
I'll be willing to answer all questions.

Ok, so Bad King, you are just going to wait for Garry to fix?
What an idiotic thing to ask. Dammit weed.
Bookcases, Bookcases Everywhere
Rukus
Poster

Serial Killer

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 01:51:06 am »

maybe func_detail not func_physbox cos that would make it physically simulated like a prop, unless you want to make a trap where it falls or something

Thats sort of what I thought he wanted. :b

Since hes talking non-trap shambies would be the best way
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:57:46 am by Rukus »

Oh, so you just expelled gas and bits of poop into the air loudly during our intimate moment, but whatever.
Sniperslayr
Poster

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »

both pillars in pics look quite good. However, remember that in reality that it would break in random places all the way round not at certain level. It more likely to have broken off at a slant than flat. Also, with curved pillars its important to use smoothing groups if you want it to be roundish. Look on valve wiki for explanation of what they are.

zm_prisonbreak
Beta 4 released
Shambie
Build Tester

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 08:35:06 pm »

both pillars in pics look quite good. However, remember that in reality that it would break in random places all the way round not at certain level. It more likely to have broken off at a slant than flat. Also, with curved pillars its important to use smoothing groups if you want it to be roundish. Look on valve wiki for explanation of what they are.
Yeah... I skipped over that part. Basically I opened hammer, put in 2 pillars, compiled, ran the map and took pictures.

Shambie has spoken!

yeah

Pages: [1]  
Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Custom Content (Moderator: McViolent)  |  Topic: Broken Pillars « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length