Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 05:45:47 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 ... 114
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 152919 times)
Barbalute
Global Moderator

build test this

« Reply #1040 on: March 06, 2010, 11:03:01 pm »

That was an awesome game.
They're remaking it. The graphics look like claymation, and it looks awesome.

http://www.destructoid.com/american-mcgee-s-alice-returns-in-2011-153821.phtml
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:04:16 pm by Barbalute »

GlobalEnjoi
Poster

« Reply #1041 on: March 06, 2010, 11:09:52 pm »

American McGee's Alice is seriously one of my favorite games ever. I am super pumped for the sequel, especially with the new graphics. I can only pray that Chris Vrenna handles the music again. The soundtrack for the first game was goddamn amazing.
Barbalute
Global Moderator

build test this

« Reply #1042 on: March 06, 2010, 11:16:12 pm »

The soundtrack for the first game was goddamn amazing.
Easily one of the best soundtracks for a game ever. The entire Silent Hill series is way up there, too. Both Diablo games had pretty good soundtracks as well.

Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #1043 on: March 06, 2010, 11:26:29 pm »

just picked up

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3604585728/tt0222812

I realize it's probably an absolutely awful movie, but it was only a dollar and I think the nerd cred of owning a lovecraft movie is worth it

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight Movies! Xcoms!
Quote from: Dwarf Fortress
"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
eeny
Build Tester

+1

« Reply #1044 on: March 06, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »

I'll check it out, it's on FearNet, a free movie service I get with my cable.

Nobody Expects the Malkavian Inquisition!
me
Build Tester

The dumbest name of them all

« Reply #1045 on: March 06, 2010, 11:32:01 pm »

The cover art reminds me of a goosebumps book.

I think if Sulkdodds and Marphy got into a fight the whole forum would explode.
I bung your mum.
Waper
Build Tester

« Reply #1046 on: March 07, 2010, 12:01:22 am »

Herbert West - Reanimator is one of favourite Lovecraft stories, though I don't think there's any chance that that movie makes it justice.

Edit: There's a movie from '85 called Re-Animator which I've heard good things about.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:03:10 am by Waper »

Radscorpions? What's so rad about them?
Weighted Companion Cube
Build Tester

No longer staring into souls.

« Reply #1047 on: March 07, 2010, 12:02:06 am »

I watched the trailer and it seemed too much like American McGees Alice.

It is fairly similar.
Most people I talked to thought it was going to be the traditional story or something, and were pissed at the deviation. Apparently.

Personally I thought it was brilliant, and I'm going to recommend that all of you see it.

They're remaking it. The graphics look like claymation, and it looks awesome.

http://www.destructoid.com/american-mcgee-s-alice-returns-in-2011-153821.phtml

OH HELL YES.
I'd heard rumors of a sequel/ remake, finally some confirmation is amazing.

The style suits it perfectly, and, and, and... oh god, I need a change of pants.

I think I'll download and replay the original tonight.

Quote from: korea-people
Good morning. Korea is the user. But I also want to know that this question oeuigeot is olryeobop.
Quote from: maxnose
I want to know, if I had issued snake god master's renewal, whether the people will use them?
Barbalute
Global Moderator

build test this

« Reply #1048 on: March 07, 2010, 12:04:18 am »

Herbert West - Reanimator is one of favourite Lovecraft stories, though I don't think there's any chance that that movie makes it justice.

Edit: There's a movie from '85 called Re-Animator which I've heard good things about.
Oh, you edited it.

Anyways, the original Re-Animator is actually a surprisingly decent/good movie. It's not really true to its origins, but it's much better than you'd expect. Beyond Re-Animator looks retarded, though.

Laserhead
Poster

Unicorn Meat Production Manager

« Reply #1049 on: March 07, 2010, 12:17:31 am »

I saw Watchmen tonight. I doubt it would have been half as enjoyable if I hadn't already read the comics, and I was really glad they left out some of the more irritating tangents (the pirate thing for example).

Quote from:  Pi Mu Rho
Angry Lawyer is alive and well and probably in your mother's bedroom
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #1050 on: March 07, 2010, 12:28:04 am »

I watched the trailer and it seemed to much like American McGees Alice.

wat

That game is built around the premise of Alice's parents dying in a fire and the trauma causing her to go insane. The movie is nothing like that, it's just vaguely edgy in a LOOK AT ME I'M TIM BURTON AREN'T I WACKY way. The game was simply dark.
Weighted Companion Cube
Build Tester

« Reply #1051 on: March 07, 2010, 12:31:42 am »

I think he has a point there, as it definitely does have a similar look to it.
The plot is different yes, but it also follows the theme of a darker Wonderland, which is at least down the same track.

Good morning. Korea is the user. But I also want to know that this question oeuigeot is olryeobop.
I want to know, if I had issued snake god master's renewal, whether the people will use them?
Waper
Build Tester

« Reply #1052 on: March 07, 2010, 12:34:33 am »

I find it hard to believe that Burton's Alice is anywhere near as bloody as McGee's.

Radscorpions? What's so rad about them?
Weighted Companion Cube
Build Tester

« Reply #1053 on: March 07, 2010, 12:39:21 am »

It isn't.
I'm not saying they're the same at all, but they both begin down the same road.

Burton's diverges quite quickly, while McGee's continues a long way down.

The point is, its reasonable that someone could get the impression that they're similar from the trailer, because they have a similar style, and a similar take on Wonderland.

shutup9100
Build Tester

Fuck you, I'm going to space.

« Reply #1054 on: March 07, 2010, 12:49:41 am »

To be honest nowhere near as dark as I would really make it, I know you all will make jokes but seriously if I had really made it it would follow the original premise for the first few minutes then as soon as she enters wonderland it would be a lot darker than American McGee's Alice, the main hobby in wonderland would be torture rape and murder, not always in that order of course, that would be a little to sane, the mad hatter would basically a Shakespeare quoting Joker expy with an awesome hat with a penchant for cannibalism, he eventually manipulates Alice into helping him kill the red queen and her advisers, and then give a big speech on how now thing are even worse because wonderland is now in an anarchic state where the strong kill and take advantage of the weak and how there is no hope for anything good to come out of wonderland is now gone, it is then implied that he then rapes and tortures Alice before sending her back home, Alice then driven insane by what has happened then promptly murders her mother and then eats the corpse while quoting Shakespeare.

TL;DR I hate Tim Burton and his style, and I would have gone in a completely different direction.

Barbalute
Global Moderator

build test this

« Reply #1055 on: March 07, 2010, 12:53:44 am »

But that just seems too dark, almost to the point of stupidity. Why would Wonderland be like that? There's no subtlety there, and gore is a poor substitute for horror.

If anything have it be outwardly ideal but have the characters start to show flaws having to do with Alice's repressed emotions or something like that. It would be much creepier. You can introduce a darker aesthetic as the movie progresses.

Or if you wanted manipulation have the Hatter seem to be the good guy in a world of sickness and horror (though still not to the extent that you want)l - at first appearing to have turned the original narrative almost on its head - but then, after he gets Alice to kill the Red Queen or whatever it slowly becomes clear that he's been manipulating her. Or that he's been turning Alice into someone who acts purely on impulse. Or whatever.

Just dark for the sake of dark is rather brutish and pointless, though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:56:32 am by Barbalute »

OctaneHugo
Build Tester

alone on a mountaintop uprooted from the Earth

« Reply #1056 on: March 07, 2010, 02:17:11 am »

Alice in Wonderland is a good movie but would have been better if
A) I wasn't with my mother and sister
B) I could have gotten high before seeing it

It's basically just like keeping your baby teeth when they fall out, except its a foot.
Marphy Black
The Best Forum Member

Let's go kick some civilian ass!

« Reply #1057 on: March 07, 2010, 02:44:51 am »

Beyond Re-Animator looks retarded, though.
You dare insult Jeffrey Combs?

Beyond pales in comparison to the original and even Bride, but it is responsible for this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnOUOkcr9c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnOUOkcr9c</a>

But that's a moot point since Jeffrey Combs is great in anything, regardless of the rest of the film.

"You are what I eat,
So much flesh, so much meat...
"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Revenant100
Barbalute
Global Moderator

build test this

« Reply #1058 on: March 07, 2010, 04:28:52 am »

I said looks. However, I had never seen that, and of course my opinion is now the opposite.

p.s. wat
p.p.s I realize IMDB is not to be trusted when it comes to movies that aren't out yet.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:31:40 am by Barbalute »

shutup9100
Build Tester

Fuck you, I'm going to space.

« Reply #1059 on: March 07, 2010, 05:25:09 am »

with all the oscar buzz going about, I think it's time to take a break from the "good" film and take a look at the winners for the razzies this year.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 ... 114  
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Movies « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length