Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 03:13:04 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Zombie Master 2

Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Custom Content  |  Release and WIP  |  Topic: [WIP] Nacon's concepts & models « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: [WIP] Nacon's concepts & models  (Read 9851 times)
Nacon
Poster

What?

« on: August 20, 2009, 07:02:20 pm »

[Edited tittle for forum's rules]

Well I'm a sucker for zombies, been sticking around even knowing development for ZM has somewhat stopped or picked up again. Whatever.

Recently I've been watching through all 8 movies, Night of the Dead (1990), Day of the Dead (1985 & 2007), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Diary of the Dead (2007), Trilogy series of Return of the Dead's.  All that in two days, because I wanted to see if I could get more ideas and be more influenced by true legendary film maker of zombies, George A Romero. Although I know he didn't do any of Return of the Dead films. Whatever, the point is I've learned that old classic zombies movie were the best of its time, even still better than late 90's and 2000's films.

I almost forgot where this "Bob" the zombie came from, Day of the Dead! Looking at ZM's shamble zombies, comparing them with crowd of zombies you'd normally see in one of Romero's film. ZM's lacking out variation of social life that zombies once were in. They all look little different while most of them worn same outfit. In Romero's film, some zombies worn outfits that stood out a bit. hats, some fancy dress, work uniforms... etc etc. I think that's something I might like to try focus on creating more shamble zombies content.
Although I doubt I would able to create 100 different models alone but I think it would be nice to pick out a few zombies that we liked best from those films.  Hell, why not Mary from Shawn of the Dead? Bob from Day of the Dead. That what-his-name-again farmer guy that fell over the stair railing?... in Night of the Dead. Ha!  Maybe Ben the zombie with his cig in mouth?

Alright, that might be enough for now.  Moving onto Banshee type of zombies. I almost never really understood why banshee are "human" kind of zombies that leap in a attack. It seem like logical choice for banshee would be a dog or some fast footing animal.

Banshee: Now here's a lovely picture of Sam. Sam is canceled.

Onto drifters... what the hell are they? I know they spit acid or some shit with blood in the mix... but floating? I never seen any floating zombies before. If anything that related to zombie and floating would be ghosts. ....oohh, ghost, now that's another idea.

My concept here is a drawing of orignal drifter with overlay of the zombie's spirit. Almost simple enough.

And last type of zombie are hulks. I know ZM is using Valve's orignal zombie crab-heads carrier... farmer... guy. I don't know what its name though. Assuming it was a farmer.
Not sure how we can change hulk's appearance without adding freaky muscleman shape. I recalled someone had done that before, didn't win people's favor.
So I figured why not give hulks a stronger, thick backbones. Bigger claw-like hands with its face ripping through its skin because hulks are growing secondary spine for stronger support. Causing to push its skull outward.

Meh... just an idea for now I guess.

I will be using Corel's PhotoPaint X4, ZBrush 3, and 3D Max Studio 8. I am aware of SOFTIMAGE|XSI Mod Tool, but I'm just not experienced enough to use it yet. It's like trying to force me write on my other hand, I'm too attached and used to 3D Max. Will try one step at a time when I have time with extra helping hand to run me through it.

I'll be posting my own thread here for more development. I'm open for everyone's opinion on my concepts and works, even Ajunk's harsh opinion is allowed.  Wink

edit: grammar fixed

Update:

I have yet to work on (Frank's) gutted-out stomach and enlarged hand-claws.
I had sorted out details of his skull, teeth, spine, and facial without going over board triangle counts.
Quite honestly I'm happy with the current count, was expecting to pass over 9,000 and surely have to optimize afterward.

Might well optimize a bit on his chest, arms, and legs to save up a bit of count for his spilling guts, gore and lower spines. Frank will need his pants. If I can't get enough triangles, I'll just texture a skin tight pants then. :/

Update: Banshee, take two concept.
How about a mountain lion?

(click image for larger view)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:03:06 pm by Nacon »

--Yeah, I remembered you... you drank too much bananas.--
Genesis92x
Poster

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:49:21 pm »

Wow, looks very nice. The zombie dog would be a lovely replace of the banshee, as it would make a little bit more sense. 

The drifter seems like a nice twist from the original but I guess i'd have to see this in game to make a definite decision whether I liked it or not. It could have potential or it could flop.

I really like the hulk, it looks really nice. The ZM hulk always looked kinda...clumsy to me. It didn't really strike any kind of fear into me besides the face that it does 50 points of damage. Having a better, scarier looking hulk would be perfect.

Maps:  zm_ZDay_II {Halted for obvious reasons}

zm_unknown   <- Need help
Kiwi
Build Tester

Trendy and Dry

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:01:26 pm »

Hulk's good.

Drifter, eh.

But why, why does the banshee make no sense? If ghost zombies and zombies that somehow become super strong and meaty are plausible, why aren't fast, leaping former humans feasible?

Worbat: You killing me constantly was so frustrating, I quit in disgust.
[16:47] Jeff: British is not an ancestry. Britain is an accident of noble marriages, pregnancies, and deaths.
Killroy
Build Tester

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:31 pm »

The drifters are drowning victims who forgot to stop floating, of course.

I clicked on that link, but quickly closed the tab before it loaded upon realizing that the file name was whalecock.jpg.
Nacon
Poster

What?

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 01:33:46 am »

Hulk's good. Drifter, eh.

But why, why does the banshee make no sense? If ghost zombies and zombies that somehow become super strong and meaty are plausible, why aren't fast, leaping former humans feasible?

Well, good question but I think it just doesn't make sense to me because you don't see an actual human being having such ability to leap so far and quick.
As for hulk... well there are a few muscleman out there, breathing and pumped up. Ghost Drifter....alright, I guess you have a point there.  Ghost is almost common thing with social's taboo, it almost works for me, I guess.
I'll have to admit that I did wanted to see some animal zombies. I've also realized it would be nice to see some zombie lions, tigers, bears, and maybe deers. They might be too big to make it fair, so Sam came to my mind.

I agree Genesis92x. I did assume Drifter might look bigger in some places than you're normally used to.  Maybe younger if need to be smaller, children, that is. Was it what you were concern with?

Err... I see.   O-o?

Kiwi
Build Tester

Trendy and Dry

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 01:39:33 am »

Well, good question but I think it just doesn't make sense to me because you don't see an actual human being having such ability to leap so far and quick.
As for hulk... well there are a few muscleman out there, breathing and pumped up. Ghost Drifter....alright, I guess you have a point there.  Ghost is almost common thing with social's taboo, it almost works for me, I guess.
I'll have to admit that I did wanted to see some animal zombies. I've also realized it would be nice to see some zombie lions, tigers, bears, and maybe deers. They might be too big to make it fair, so Sam came to my mind.

You don't really see people with fingers the length of their arm either.

Somewhat more rational explanation for banshee? Mutated to have their bones hollowed out so that they are lighter, therefore making it easier to leap.

[16:47] Jeff: British is not an ancestry. Britain is an accident of noble marriages, pregnancies, and deaths.
Nacon
Poster

What?

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 01:51:27 am »

NOTE TO ADMIN: Well shit, just noticed that I didn't post my thread in Release & WIP category, can you move it over there, please? Thanks!

Yeah I guess hollowed bones make sense, but either way, forgotten to mention that Hulk also grew their finger bones longer. I guess Mutation are better explanation. I should ask though, do you prefer human over animal? I wanna know what everyone opinion are, to make it at least fair for all when I can.

PS: I kept wanting to start on hulk model but I gotta wait for more people throw in their opinion and view on it.
Time to play Doom 3 and see if I can do better job than they (id company) do at horrifying looking creature modeling.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:25:33 pm by Nacon »

Kiwi
Build Tester

Trendy and Dry

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 02:01:44 am »

Kiwi prefers human only zombie. Scarier/more interesting when the monsters are human.

Pastor
Build Tester

Bewildering Transvestite Wasteland

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 02:59:10 am »

The hulk desing is pretty but no abdominal muscles will make it imposible to stand like that.

Genesis92x
Poster

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 05:01:14 am »

I lol'd

The hulk desing is pretty but no abdominal muscles will make it imposible to stand like that.

Yes, well mutations can have weird effects.

And twords the drifter- The drifter could look really good, when I said "it might flop or not" I ment that in the picture it looked like it would be too bright and not fit the zm "mood" for most maps.

Maps:  zm_ZDay_II {Halted for obvious reasons}

zm_unknown   <- Need help
Kiwi
Build Tester

Trendy and Dry

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 05:11:22 am »

Are these gonna be replacements for the current ZM or used in some offshot mod?

Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 05:26:05 am »

ZM's artstyle is geared more towards Lovecraft monsters.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Rukus
Poster

Serial Killer

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 06:22:08 am »

I like everything but the ghosts, maybe you could change their abilities up a bit and put them in a mod?

Oh, so you just expelled gas and bits of poop into the air loudly during our intimate moment, but whatever.
Nacon
Poster

What?

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 12:20:06 pm »

Kiwi prefers human only zombie. Scarier/more interesting when the monsters are human.
Hmm  ok.

The hulk design is pretty but no abdominal muscles will make it impossible to stand like that.
I lol'd
Yes, well mutations can have weird effects.
And twords the drifter- The drifter could look really good, when I said "it might flop or not" I meant that in the picture it looked like it would be too bright and not fit the zm "mood" for most maps.
Yeah, maybe a little bit strings of muscles still attached on the front, most on backside would do?
As for Drifter, it can't hurt to have a little glow (light source) but I was thinking more of a semi-transparent textures and soft particle mist than actual glowing effect.

ZM's artstyle is geared more towards Lovecraft monsters.
Uhh.. are you sure that's even a good idea?  Because as far I know, Lovecraft never did any zombies theme. Lovecraft's work was mostly about Cthulhu, a tentacle monster.  Similar to Davy Jones, an octopus-man. Unless there's more work Lovecraft had done, which I haven't seen. Maybe you're trying to say something a bit more tentacle or deeply mutated monster?   Actually, a game "Parasite Eve" came to my mind.

I like everything but the ghosts, maybe you could change their abilities up a bit and put them in a mod?
I don't have that programming ability to do that, just model and art.   ...And course, I've been told about you.

edit:
Are these gonna be replacements for the current ZM or used in some offshot mod?
I've thought about having my own ZM mod but I don't have all the programming knowledge to do that. I guess it's pretty much for current ZM if they wishes to use it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:23:19 pm by Nacon »

Kiwi
Build Tester

Trendy and Dry

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 05:19:46 am »

Uhh.. are you sure that's even a good idea?  Because as far I know, Lovecraft never did any zombies theme. Lovecraft's work was mostly about Cthulhu, a tentacle monster.  Similar to Davy Jones, an octopus-man. Unless there's more work Lovecraft had done, which I haven't seen. Maybe you're trying to say something a bit more tentacle or deeply mutated monster?   Actually, a game "Parasite Eve" came to my mind.

If Kiwi recalls, Cthulhu himself doesn't really play a role in Lovecraft's work. He is referenced to, but it is mostly other people who have Cthulhu in their works.

Ajunk
Build Tester

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 07:37:33 am »

Uhh.. are you sure that's even a good idea?  Because as far I know, Lovecraft never did any zombies theme. Lovecraft's work was mostly about Cthulhu, a tentacle monster.  Similar to Davy Jones, an octopus-man. Unless there's more work Lovecraft had done, which I haven't seen. Maybe you're trying to say something a bit more tentacle or deeply mutated monster?   Actually, a game "Parasite Eve" came to my mind.
A good idea? I don't know, ask the developers. I am familiar with lovecraft's work enough to be aware that there isn't much in the way of zombies, but then again, I am familiar with zombie themes enough to be aware that there isn't much in the way of ghosts.

P.S. The natures of both dogs and banshees aren't exactly compatible. Banshees leap great heights and cling to the ceiling, among other things. Dogs run quickly and barely jump any vertical distance (although they tackle a lot). Suffice to say, a dog spontaniously leaping 12 feet into the air would look only less retarded than a dog attached, upside down, to a ceiling.

You're all the most fucking heartless people
Rukus
Poster

Serial Killer

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 09:43:56 am »

I don't have that programming ability to do that, just model and art.   

edit:I've thought about having my own ZM mod but I don't have all the programming knowledge to do that. I guess it's pretty much for current ZM if they wishes to use it.

You could always ask around various forums for a programmer, having the ZM Source Code out an about (due to official production being shut down) should make that search easier.
...And course, I've been told about you.

You might want to take a day or two to examine your "informants" posts to get a firm examination of character before you go and judge off of an opinion.

Oh, so you just expelled gas and bits of poop into the air loudly during our intimate moment, but whatever.
Nacon
Poster

What?

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 01:57:47 am »

A good idea? I don't know, ask the developers. I am familiar with lovecraft's work enough to be aware that there isn't much in the way of zombies, but then again, I am familiar with zombie themes enough to be aware that there isn't much in the way of ghosts.

P.S. The natures of both dogs and banshees aren't exactly compatible. Banshees leap great heights and cling to the ceiling, among other things. Dogs run quickly and barely jump any vertical distance (although they tackle a lot). Suffice to say, a dog spontaniously leaping 12 feet into the air would look only less retarded than a dog attached, upside down, to a ceiling.

I'm still not sure if I understand about Lovecraft part but as for the ghost part, I get it. I guess I'll see what I could come up with.

Nothing wrong with seeing human (zombie) hanging upside down? Honestly, I wasn't really looking for argument but needing something to get our boat moving forward.

You could always ask around various forums for a programmer, having the ZM Source Code out an about (due to official production being shut down) should make that search easier.
You might want to take a day or two to examine your "informants" posts to get a firm examination of character before you go and judge off of an opinion.

Kiwi
Build Tester

Trendy and Dry

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 09:46:58 am »

Nothing wrong with seeing human (zombie) hanging upside down? Honestly, I wasn't really looking for argument but needing something to get our boat moving forward.

Banshees in their idle state don't look that bad upside down. However, seeing a dog upside down would be pretty silly.

Nacon
Poster

What?

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 02:48:31 am »

Update:

I have yet to work on (Frank's) gutted-out stomach and enlarged hand-claws.
I had sorted out details of his skull, teeth, spine, and facial without going over board triangle counts.
Quite honestly I'm happy with the current count, was expecting to pass over 9,000 and surely have to optimize afterward.

Might well optimize a bit on his chest, arms, and legs to save up a bit of count for his spilling guts, gore and lower spines. Frank will need his pants. If I can't get enough triangles, I'll just texture a skin tight pants then. :/

Pages: [1] 2 3  
Zombie Master  |  Zombie Master  |  Custom Content  |  Release and WIP  |  Topic: [WIP] Nacon's concepts & models « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length