Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 04:50:23 am
Home Help Login Register
News: Trouble in Terrorist Town? Site here, forum here.

Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Grimdark thread « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Grimdark thread  (Read 1517 times)
me
Build Tester

The dumbest name of them all

« on: July 27, 2011, 03:39:25 am »

Are there any forumites into the tabletop 40k? I got into it recently and was curious on what the opinions would be other than dickbags who play dark eldar and ultramarines who seem to infest the closest gamestore to me.

I think if Sulkdodds and Marphy got into a fight the whole forum would explode.
I bung your mum.
DemiGod
Build Tester

Nimble as a pregnant cow

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:05:58 am »

I used to be into table top 40K. Played Tau as crisis suits are fucking ridiculous.

<br />I hate all of you<br />
<br />Nah, more like demigod isn't self centered and he is legality cool guy.<br />
Barbalute
Global Moderator

build test this

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 05:31:27 am »

I used to play as well, but haven't in a while now. I played Nurgle Chaos at first but then switched to IG. I don't know much about the newest rules or how the armies are balanced any more, but overall I'd say that if you play mostly for the painting/modelling aspect you should play the army that you think you'd have the most fun assembling, and if you play mostly for the tactical aspect you should research a bit about the basic strategies the different armies are predisposed towards and play the one that you'd have the most fun using. Basically, if you don't pick your army based on how much you personally enjoy it and instead decide based on how powerful or competitive it is, you'll eventually be dissatisfied and end up switching anyways. Losing with an army you love is more fun than winning with one you don't. That's what I've noticed, at least.

Reading your post again, though, I guess you weren't really asking for advice like that.

Kiwi
Build Tester

Trendy and Dry

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:30:49 am »

Are there any forumites into the tabletop 40k? I got into it recently and was curious on what the opinions would be other than dickbags who play dark eldar and ultramarines who seem to infest the closest gamestore to me.

First off, Dark Eldar are a solid army right now, not overpowered or other such nonsense that some list have, though they are pretty easy to mess up.

Where was Kiwi going with that? Oh right, don't let the terrible people ruin the army. (If Kiwi had money they'd probably be his army to start off.)

Imperial Guard are also really strong right now, but be prepared to be disliked, especially if you go for a heavily mechanized list. Necrons are getting an update in the next few months, Kiwi thinks. They are going to be the next codex released, that's been confirmed (unless Kiwi's memory is really terrible). Can't really say too much about the other armies.

Worbat: You killing me constantly was so frustrating, I quit in disgust.
[16:47] Jeff: British is not an ancestry. Britain is an accident of noble marriages, pregnancies, and deaths.
Firespray
Build Tester

:-(

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:49:41 am »

If anyone wants to play W40k, we could always do a forumite Vassal game of it, assuming we all have the Codex for each downloaded.
SlayerCake
Poster

VerbCake

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:20:22 am »

I play Tau whenever I can convince someone to have a go (sucks that there isn't a GW nearby). And I guess a prevelance of Marines is a plague that effects every store -hides Crimson Fists- but they're not as bad a Blood Angels *shudders*

Dark Eldar aren't TOO bad, they die easily enough, but their super cheap, super fast transports and there super cheap, super fast AND super deadly witches annoy me ever so slightly.

<br />Mysquirrel the storm and power outage were in real life<br />
me
Build Tester

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 01:49:21 pm »

I play Orks, and a buddy of mine went with Space Wolves. We have a lot of matches, although lately I've been less interested in it because fuck goddamn terminators. I love orks for their middle finger to the whole grimdark situation, not a big fan of eldar or tau. Not that they aren't good armies, (although honestly I've only played against space marines, wolves, and guard) but I just don't like their fluff.

I bung your mum.
Shadow_Archmagi
Build Tester

Zeppking

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 02:37:19 pm »

Man now I need to reinstall Dawn of War 1 so I can play Tau and Necrons. Thanks a lot guys.

Wait a second, Kiwi routinely complains about not having enough food to have ingredients other than cheese in his sandwiches. How is he keeping up on the preposterously expensive game that is tabletop
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:39:18 pm by Shadow_Archmagi »

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight Movies! Xcoms!
Quote from: Dwarf Fortress
"You died a noble death. Also, if that baby that was always near you was yours, it died a noble death too."
Someone
Poster

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 03:26:31 pm »

Imperial Guard are also really strong right now, but be prepared to be disliked, especially if you go for a heavily mechanized list. Necrons are getting an update in the next few months, Kiwi thinks. They are going to be the next codex released, that's been confirmed (unless Kiwi's memory is really terrible). Can't really say too much about the other armies.

Technically the Sisters of Battle codex will be released before Necrons, but it's a WD 'dex and thus probably bland and rubbish like the previous ones, which the leaked start to the rules supports. Also no new models are their current ones are all metal, so super expensive to buy.
Kiwi
Build Tester

Trendy and Dry

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:55:25 pm »

Man now I need to reinstall Dawn of War 1 so I can play Tau and Necrons. Thanks a lot guys.

Wait a second, Kiwi routinely complains about not having enough food to have ingredients other than cheese in his sandwiches. How is he keeping up on the preposterously expensive game that is tabletop

You missed the part where Kiwi said that if he had any money his first army would be Dark Eldar, as in, he doesn't have any armies.

Oh, it's Sisters Next? Kiwi thought it was the other way around (though Necrons seem like they're going to get decent treatment as the codex author supposedly likes them)

Worbat: You killing me constantly was so frustrating, I quit in disgust.
[16:47] Jeff: British is not an ancestry. Britain is an accident of noble marriages, pregnancies, and deaths.
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 08:40:43 pm »

I play Tyranids, although I haven't done much with them in a while. To be honest, I've become somewhat annoyed with the game- GW is rapidly pricing itself out of the market, and the rules are pretty poorly balanced as a wargame, with an annoying bloat of special rules.

It's fun to play, but when people come asking me if they should start an army I steer them towards either Warmachine or Dawn of War.
me
Build Tester

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:05:03 pm »

I haven't seen any particular unbalancing caused by rules

I bung your mum.
catbarf
Poster

Volcano junkie.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 08:39:12 pm »

I haven't seen any particular unbalancing caused by rules

Then you, sir, have not had the wonderful experience of playing against an army of six squads of Long Fangs supported by three squads of Thunderwolf Cavalry.
TheCze
Global Moderator

O R'lyeh? Ia, R'lyeh!

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 08:48:11 pm »

Used to play imperial army but

a) I hate "magic units" (like those the elder have)
b) I hate painting miniatures

So I switched to historical boardgaming / wargaming

Only then did the elves begin to suspect that the dwarves were not bringing any Amontillado.
me
Build Tester

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 09:50:54 pm »

Then you, sir, have not had the wonderful experience of playing against an army of six squads of Long Fangs supported by three squads of Thunderwolf Cavalry.

Gone against one long fang with 3 grey hunters and terminators deep struck behind me, with some bloodclaws and 3 dreadnoughts and a wolf priest

I bung your mum.
Pastor
Build Tester

Bewildering Transvestite Wasteland

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 10:01:20 pm »

a) I hate "magic units" (like those the elder have)
That's why i like tyranids and their shadow in the warp trait, its the ultimate "fuck your wizards"

Pages: [1]  
Zombie Master  |  Other  |  Off-topic  |  Topic: Grimdark thread « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length